New Harlequins winger Chris Ashton says the manner of his departure from Sale last week came as "a shock".
Ashton's former boss at Sale, Steve Diamond, said the ex-England player left after a "difference of opinion".
The 32-year-old said he had "disagreed" with Diamond in a meeting but was "completely unaware of any problem".
"I didn't feel as though we had the relationship that I'd hoped for," Ashton told BBC Radio 5 Live's Rugby Union Weekly podcast.
"We did bang heads on a few things but it's only because I wanted the club to get better and win, it was never any other way than that."
Ashton is third in the Premiership's all-time list of top try-scorers - with 86 to his name - and joined Harlequins two days after his Sale deal was terminated by mutual consent.
"It is a shock that Steve said that and it's a shock he said it to me last Monday night, that he felt that way," he said.
"I could've gone in and said I want to change this opinion you have of me but I didn't necessarily believe it was right."

0 Comments